- 1 cup grated beetroot
- small lemon sized tamarind ball
- 3 garlic flakes
- 6 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu or black gram)
- asofoetida - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai and tamper mustard seeds. Add garlic flakes, fenugreek seeds, urad dal, cloves, cinnamon and broken red chilies.
- Saute a while. Add tamarind ball, grated beetroot and curry leaves. Saute a while. Add asofoetida and cook till the raw smell goes. It may take around 5-8 mins.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer adding little water to make smooth paste. Add salt to taste and mix well. Serve with steamed rice.