|Chettinadu Puli Kuzhambu|
- medium lemon sized tamarind ball - soaked in 1 cup water for 30 mins
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp sambar powder
- 1/4 cup onion vadagam
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Tamper mustard seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and onion vadagam. Saute a while.
- Add chopped onions and fry for few mins. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add turmeric powder and sambar powder. Mix well.
- Add tamarind extract, salt to taste and 1/2 cup water. Cook it covered till the curry thickens and oil separates.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and remove from the heat. Serve hot with rice or idli/dosa.